Meet Mr. Average:
- His life expectancy is 73.6 years.
- Odd are 5-1 that he is thirty pounds overweight.
- He drinks 3.3 cups of coffee a day.
- He probably won’t have a heart attack (the odds are 1 in 21).
- He sleeps 6.9 hours on a work night.
- He has sex seventy-nine times a year (1.5 times a week).
- He has $3,100 in the bank.
- He is probably not going to church.
- He is struggling in his role as a father, husband and provider.
The statistics caught my eye. The word average got me thinking. God didn’t create any of us—male or female—to be average.
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.(Genesis 1:26-27 ESV)
God brushed the first strokes of light on the canvas of creation. Can you call that average? God was the Zoo Keeper of Eden. He gave us the giraffe, the rhinoceros, the panda, and the crocodile? Can you call that average? God paints a new masterpiece in the heavens each evening? Can you call that average?
We use his colors on our palettes, mimic his tastes in our fruit drinks, and breathe air from his creation? God is amazing, awesome, and astounding—but not average! And you are not average because you were created in his image. Your humanity is traced along the lines of his likeness. His fingerprints cling to your frame. His signature is written across your heart.
You were created in the image of the living God, so draw near to him and say goodbye to Mr. Average.
STAY FOCUSED TODAY: Make a list of all the above-average characteristics God has given you. At the end of your day take time to thank Him for making you so much more than “average.”
Ladies, please bear with the “narrow focus” today. I picked up those stats a few years back from New Man Magazine.