This week I am sharing five life lessons I learned from pondering five decades of God's work in the life of Spanish River Church. Here they are:
- If you want to see something big, look up! Click here for more.
- God loves using the ordinary to do the extraordinary. Click here for more.
- Take the first step to follow God's call. Click here for more.
- The power is in the gospel. Click here for more.
- Together is always better.
Life Lesson #5 -- Together Is Always Better
I love what Ron Tobias, our Executive Pastor, said about the season when Spanish River Church moved to our current location.
"Together" and its cousin "one another" are used repeatedly in the New Testament.
- And all who believed were together and had all things in common. Acts 2:44
- Attending the temple together. Acts 2:46
- They lifted their voices together to God. Acts 4:24
- In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. Ephesians 2:22
- Live in harmony with one another. Romans 12:16
- Comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace. 2 Corinthians 13:11
- Therefore encourage one another. 1 Thessalonians 4:18
- And you . . . God made alive together with him. Colossians 2:13
God calls his people to "life together." It is in those "one another" relationships we find joy, strength, and effectiveness:
- Together we have partnered to help start 500 churches in 29 countries.
- Together we have launched ministries that care for the hurting, strengthen families, grow believers, and engage people far away from God.
- Together is theme of our LifeGroups, an absolutely essential part of the family of God at Spanish River (click here to find out more).
Together we’re like the Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge carries the weight of more than 110,000 vehicles every day. It serves the city and brightens the landscape.
So with the church. Working together God uses us to serve our city and to stand as brilliant light shining the truth of the gospel in words and actions.
What is fascinating about the Golden Gate Bridge is what holds it up. All that weight . . . all that carrying power is suspended by 27, 572 thin pieces of wire -- bound together.
Spanish River has been bound together by the love of Christ for fifty years. Loving each other and working together we are helping the casually connected deeply engage with Jesus. And God has more for us to do.
I resonate with the words of Greg Hazle in the video below:
God is not done with us. Our best days are ahead. Why am I so convinced of this? Because Jesus has not changed.
At the end of his letter to troubled Christians, the writer of Hebrews says:
Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Do not be led away . . . . Hebrews 13:7-8
Remember . . . consider . . . and imitate those Christians who have gone before. Why? Not because they were so amazing, but because Jesus is.
- The same Jesus who called them is still calling people.
- The same Jesus who saved them, is still saving people.
- The same Jesus who empowered them, is still empowering people.
He is unstoppable. His church is unstoppable. So we carry on!
Join us this Sunday, February 15, for Vision Sunday. We will be scanning the horizon to catch a glimpse of what we believe God has in store for us in the days ahead.
If you missed it:
- You can watch or listen to the 50 Anniversary Celebration Service by clicking here.
- You can enjoy the 50 Year Spanish River Recap Video by viewing below: