I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve at Spanish River Church. At our services today (2, 4, 6, 8) I'll be sharing that Jesus is The Best Gift Ever, and because of Him there are three things we never have to do (okay, that's about as much "sneak peek" as your going to get).
Staring down four services, making final tweaks on the message, and thinking about all the people who are coming -- from many different places in their relationship with Christ -- has me thinking about how much pastors need people praying for them. Paul had the same feeling:
- I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf. Romans 15:30 ESV
- You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many. 2 Corinthians 1:11 ESV
- For I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance. Philippians 1:19 ESV
- At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison. Colossians 4:3 ESV
- Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you. 2 Thessalonians 3:1 ESV
- At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you. Philemon 1:22 ESV
- Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things.I urge you the more earnestly to do this in order that I may be restored to you the sooner. Hebrews 13:17-19 ESV
Christmas Eve is upon us. Pray for your church. Pray that God would prepare the hearts of Christmas Eve guests to hear the gospel. Pray that God would draw people to himself. And please pray for your pastor. Pray for the power of the Holy Spirit upon him. Pray for a gospel-centered message. Pray God would give him favor with first-time visitors and special guests. Pray for health. Pray for Christmas joy and peace and love and power.
Prayer is the best gift you can give your pastor this Christmas. In fact, prayer is the best gift you can give your pastor every day of the year.
Thanks for praying!