Someday Isle is not a tropical paradise. You won’t even find it on a map. But it is real! Someday Isle is the place of procrastination.
- Someday I'll tackle that project.
- Someday I’ll stop putting in all those hours.
- Someday I’ll spend more time with my kids.
- Someday I’ll get back in church.
- Someday I’ll visit the parents.
- Someday I’ll write that book.
- Someday I’ll help that person in need.
Someday Isle the favorite destination of every person who wants to justify inactivity, rest a guilty conscience, linger, loiter, dilly dally, or just do nothing. It is the place we visit to relax under the tall trees of “tomorrow.” It is also a land of broken hearts, broken promises, and shipwrecked dreams.
Some people visit Someday Isle; others live on it. The key is to get off of it, and God tells us how:
- Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them. If you can help your neighbor now, don’t say, "Come back tomorrow, and then I’ll help you." Proverbs 3:27-28 NLT
- Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. Proverbs 27:1 ESV
- Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. Ecclesiastes 9:10 NIV
God's admonition for anyone stranded on Someday Isle is simple: “Do it now!”
Are you entertaining the idea of a good deed you could do? “Do it now!” Have you been thinking about saying “thanks” to that person who has invested in your life? “Do it now!” Have you been planning to make that phone call or start that project? “Do it now!”
God knows the longer we linger, the less likely we will ever leave Someday Isle. So if you find yourself wandering those shores, take one step to get off the island: "Do it now!”
For Paul on your big day. Congratulations, son. I am proud of you! You have refused to include Someday Isle on your itinerary.