Why is Old Faithful the most popular geyser in the world?
- It is not the biggest geyser.
- It is not the loudest geyser.
- It is not the longest geyser.
- It is not the highest geyser.
- It is not the grandest geyser.
Old Faithful is popular because Old Faithful is faithful!
You can count on it. Every day, several times a day, the water from Old Faithful bursts from the ground in a magnificent display of power and beauty.
The writer of Lamentations had never seen this geyser, but I am sure it would have reminded him of God. Listen to his words:
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him. The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3:21-26 NIV
The message of Lamentations is compelling. In Lamentations 3, the writer was in anguish as he contemplated the judgment of God. God's chastisement was so harsh the writer had forgotten what happiness was. He was spent and so was his hope--until he called to mind the wonderful faithfulness of God.
Like the consistent geyser – only better – God’s love and compassion regularly erupt from his throne. His children stand under the shower of his faithfulness.
- Every day he upholds our world (Colossians 1:16-17).
- Everyday he is good to the righteous and unrighteous alike (Matthew 5:43-45).
- Every day the certainty of his love enables us to rejoice (Psalm 118:24).
- Every day he forgives the repentant person (Psalm 32).
- Every day he carries on the good work he began in us (Philippians 1:6).
Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, He is faithful.
Is happiness elusive? Has the wonder of God faded? Do you feel neglected? Burdened? Take a lesson from Lamentations. Look back. Call to mind God's faithfulness. Put your hope in him and stand under the shower of his love.