If there is one thing Christmas teaches me, it is this: God keeps his promises. My Bible is filled with prophecies about the coming Messiah. A prophecy is a promise, a God-given guarantee. Here are a few of those promises:
- God promised that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem – promise kept!
- God promised that a virgin would conceive the Messiah; promise kept!
- God promised that the Messiah would be called Immanuel – promise kept!
- God promised that the Messiah would be called out of Egypt – promise kept!
Matthew records the fulfillment of these promises:
“Where did the prophets say the Messiah would be born?” He asked them. “In Bethlehem,” they said, “for this is what the prophet wrote: ‘O Bethlehem, of Judah, you are not just a lowly village in Judah, for a ruler will come from you who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.’” (Matthew 2:4-7)
That night Joseph left for Egypt with the child and Mary, his mother, and they stayed there until Herod’s death. This fulfilled what the Lord had spoken through the prophet: “I called my Son out of Egypt.” (Matthew 2:14-15)
All of this happened to fulfill the Lord’s message through his prophet: “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and he will be called Immanuel (meaning, God is with us).” (Matthew 1:22-23 NLT)
Matthew wanted his Jewish audience to be certain that Jesus was their long-awaited Messiah. In convincing them he has convinced me that God keeps his promises. Has God made a promise to you? You can take it to the bank.
- God said, “I will supply your every need” (Philippians 4:19). Take it to the bank!
- God said, “I will watch over you” (Psalm 121:5). Take it to the bank!
- God said, “I won’t allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear” (1Corinthians 10:13). Take it to the bank!
- God said, “I will never leave you or forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). Take it to the bank!
- God said, “I will give you eternal life” (John 6:47). Take it to the bank!
God keeps his promises. He doesn’t tell me when the promises will be fulfilled, but I know they will. All I have to do is remember the promises he kept at Christmas.
FOCAL POINT: When you see a bank today, think of a promise that God has made to you and thank him for it.
Copyright © 2009 Tommy Kiedis