Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever. Amen.
Romans 11:33, 36 ESV
Nothing will so enlarge the intellect, nothing so magnify the whole soul of man, as a devout, earnest, continued investigation of the great subject of the Deity. And, whilst humbling and expanding, this subject is eminently consolatory. Oh, there is, in contemplating Christ, a balm for every wound; in musing on the Father, there is a quietus for every grief; and in the influence of the Holy Ghost, there is a balsam for every sore.
Would you lose your sorrows? Would you drown your cares? Then go, plunge yourself in the Godhead's deepest sea; be lost in his immensity; and you shall come forth as from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated. I know nothing which can so comfort the soul; so calm the swelling billows of grief and sorrow; so speak peace to the winds of trial, as a devout musing upon the subject of the Godhead.
Charles Spurgeon, January 7, 1855
How about you? Are you ready to take the plunge? You can dive into the rest and refreshment Spurgeon describes by looking below. Click the verse to go to that passage of Scripture. Go ahead, take the plunge.
- God's independence: He does not need anything, Acts 17:24-25; Psalm 50:10-12
- God's unchangeableness: He remains the same in his being, perfections, purposes, and promises, Psalm 102:25-26; Malachi 3:6; James 1:17
- God's eternity: He has no beginning and no ending, Psalm 90:2; Revelation 1:8, 4:8; Exodus 3:14, John 8:58
- God's omnipresence: God is present everywhere in the totality of his being, Psalm 139:7-10
- God's love: Nothing can separate Him from His own, Romans 8:31-39
God's answer to life's challenges is not a greater sense of our own abilities, but a growing rest in Him.
There are many excellent books on theology that will help in your study. I have used Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology for this introductory listing of the attributes of God.