Someone said, “You don’t get ulcers from what you eat, but from what’s eating you.” So what has you tied up in knots these days? Go ahead, pick a worry any worry: Money, job security, family safety, health, global warming, Washington politics, grades, relationships, responsibilities, the Dow, Nasdaq, S&P 500? Look around, worry abounds! And it is not just adults who experience anxiety these days. Even little kids are becoming worrywarts. A study shows that childhood anxiety has been on the rise since 1950.The article I read said that "today's kids are suffering far more anxiety than any previous generation, leading some to call this "The Age of Anxiety."1
To this age of anxiety, God offers an age-old reminder:
Those who love your law have great peace and do not stumble. (Psalm 119:165 NLT)
Interesting! God says, "Fall in love with my word and fretful living will fall by the wayside." So what is the link between loving God’s Word and finding peace? It’s simple: Scripture introduces us to a God who is the answer to every potential difficulty we face.
- Is money a problem? He owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10).
- Is it insecurity that threatens you? He holds you safely in his hands (John 10:27-31).
- Having a hard time letting the kids out of your sight? They are never out of his sight (Psalm 139).
- Is fading health a reason to fret? He can heal you or give you the grace to endure (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).
- Does a polluted planet have you bothered? It’s going to hold up just fine until he’s ready for the new one (Hebrews 1:10-12).
- Are your relationships on shaky ground? He’s solid as a rock (Isaiah 26:3-4).
- Are responsibilities overwhelming? He’s got all the power you need (Philippians 4:13).
- As for those folks on Wall Street, it is God who gives the power to create wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18).
So pick a promise, any promise, and put your worries to rest. God can take care of you!
1Childhood Anxiety Steadily On the Rise Since the 1950s. www.webmd.com. Accessed December 26, 2010.